click here for PDF
SURPRISE CONTEST: $25 award open to anyone registered. Details will be announced Friday morning. Winner announced at the Saturday Awards Banquet. You must be present to win.
4. Lee Ann Russell Memorial Poetry Award- Villanelle. No particular theme. $150--$75--$25.
Sponsors: Larry Cunningham, Peggy Russell and Penny Russell.
Contest Chair for 2017
P.O. Box 9076
Fayetteville, AR 72703-0018
1. Showcase Award: 3 prizes $300/$100/$50
Short story or essay. Limit 2,500 words.
Sponsor-Ozark Creative Writers Board of Directors
2. Spooky Award: 1 Prize of $200
Scare me and make me laugh.Limit 5,000 words. Horror or or paranormal story. Sponsor-Brett Cogburn.
3. Poet Laureate Award in Honor of Arkansas Poet Laureate Peggy Vining: 1 Prize of $100- Poem about nature,any style. Limit 24 lines.
Sponsor-Ozark Creative Writers Board of Directors.
5. Publish your Book Award: Sponsored by OGHMA Press. Send in the first 3 chapters and a synopsis. One winner will receive a standard book contract from OGHMA Press.
Conference Awards $50/$30/$20
6. High Hill Press Award: First chapter and 5-page synopsis of “the next NY Times bestseller.” Any genre.Sponsor-High Hill Press
7. Oxbow Award: Short story with western theme. No word limit.
8. Jim Richardson Memorial Award: Short story, any genre. Limit 3,000 words.
Sponsor-Delois McGrew in memory of her son.
9. Your Lucky Day Award: A humorous essay about ‘good luck’. Limit 1500 words.
Sponsor- Chrissy Willis
10. Search for Excellence Award: Nonfiction memoir or essay. Limit 2,500 words.
Sponsors-Leon and Dot Combs
11. Tell Me a Story: Limit 2,500 words, any genre.
Sponsors-Erman and Nettie Sands
12. Five Hundred Word Flash: Historical flash fiction up to 500 words.
Sponsor: The Village Writing School.
13. Amphorae Publishing Group Award: First chapter of a Scifi novel. Build a world and take us Away! Sponsor- Amphorae Publishing Group
14. Writing is a Blast!: Spark our interest. Thrill us with suspense. Light a fire and runaway with our imagination. Fiction, 2000 word limit,
Sponsors: Jane & Mitch Hale (Hale Fireworks)
15. It's A Mystery!; Mystery Short Story: Limit 3,000 words.
Sponsors-Jim and Marsha Davis
Conference Awards $25/$15/$10
16. Flash Fiction: Limit 99 words. Must have beginning,
middle, end. Sponsor-David Kirkland
17. Western: Western short fiction or article.Limit 2,000 words. Possible publication in Cactus Country Anthology. Sponsor-Cactus Country Publishing.
18. Bigfoot Lives Among Us: Write a fiction, or non-fiction, story about Bigfoot. Up to 1,500 words. Make me laugh, make me jump. Sponsor-Belle Fontaine
19. It Was a Dark and Stormy Night: Short story between 500-1000 words of your best melodramatic prose using the opening sentence It was a dark and stormy night. For once a reward will come for 'cliched' overwriting. Sponsor- Lonnie Whitaker.
20. Fractured Fairy Tales: Put a twist on a well-known fairy tale. Humor or drama. 600 word limit. Must have a title. Sponsor-Marcia Gaye
21. Your Lucky Romance: Short story where luck played a role in romance (no erotica),2013 word limit. Sponsor: Larissa Towers.
22. Middle Grade Fiction for Boys Ages 9-12: Fiction 1,500-2,500 words. Sponsor-Reneé LaViness
23. Tell Me Another Story: Children’s story for beginning readers
or younger. Five page maximum. Sponsor-Clouse Literary Arts and Theater.
24. Space Journey: Science fiction genre in the style of 50’s Sci-Fi movies.
2000 word limit. Sponsor-Tahlequah Writers
25. Historical Poem: Use the Wikipedia definition (click here.) as a guide. No line limit. Sponsor-Rickey Pittman
26. Tell Me a Tale: Short story, any genre, up to 1,500 words. Wow me with a great story, and intriguing characters. Sponsor-Dwight Johns
27. Essay Contest: Limit 300 words. Creative non-fiction essay on your favorite family tradition. Sponsor-Linda Apple
28. Travel Article: Limit 1,500 words. Write it as if you were sending it to a reputable magazine. No photos, please.Sponsor-Johnny D. Boggs
29. My Favorite Day in Nature: Up to 1,200 word essay or short story. No hunting stories please. Sponsor- Linda Sartin in memory of her husband Gary.
30. You Lucky Dog!: Humorous short story or essay with a dog in it (no talking animals). Dog does not have to the main character. No Word Limit. Sponsor: Ebeenezer Longfellow.
31. Free Verse Poetry: Free verse poem, must have definite rhythm. Limit 2 pages. Any topic. Sponsor-Pat Richards